Saturday, April 25, 2009

Lest we forget


On a personal note.


On December 24th 2008 we lost my gorgeous grandfather, affectionately known as "Gah", as this was my first word when i was a wee little chicken, as I sat on his grand knee.


As I sit here at 5.20am, watching the television broadcast of the ANZAC dawn service, I shed a tear for the loss of our Gah, Major Thomas Edward Hincksman. I will not forget the beautiful, gentle man who provided so much for our family, nor the challenges he faced when he served in the Army for our country. It's hard to imagine an ANZAC day without my grandfather attending the service in the city, and even at the ripe age of 90 years, we ventured in with him one very wet day, and stood proud with our daughter, cheering on the diggers!


At this time, my heart also goes out to all our young army families. We are priveleged to have friends who serve in our armed forces, some home, some still overseas. Our thoughts are with you, and we remember those who we have so tragically lost this year.


"They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old, age shall not weary them, or the years condemn, at the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we shal remember them".

No comments:

Post a Comment